Here is another slow cooker recipe that you’ll enjoy making. Not only is it light on the budget, giving you more bang for your buck, it tastes great, too! Your family will think you’ve been in the kitchen all day making this chicken dish which is complex with layers of flavor. The secret is yours, however!
With just a tiny bit of help from your microwave oven (or stove top), place everything into your slow cooker and return four hours later to find dinner ready to serve! Add some rice or couscous and a salad for a complete and balanced meal!
What’s not to love about making these types of meals? One pot wonders is what they really are! Whomever coined that phrase deserves the gold metal!
|Curry Chicken Breasts||
- 2 onions, minced
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Minute tapioca, ground
- 6 bone-in, split chicken breasts (2 ounces each, 12 ounces total), skin removed, cleaned and trimmed.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced/slivered almonds, toasted
- Microwave the onions, garlic, ginger, curry powder, oil and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a 6 to 7 quart slow cooker.
- Stir the broth and tapioca into the slow cooker.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and nestle them into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 4 to 6 hours.
- Gently stir in the raisins and let set until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and tent loosely with foil.
- Let liquid settle for five minutes, then remove the fat from the surface using a large spoon.
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the hot chicken cooking liquid with the yogurt (to temper). Stir the mixture back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve with remaining sauce.
- Serve with hot cooked rice, or couscous, if desired.