Here is a chili recipe that is chuck full of chunks of beef and is wonderful when served in bread bowls. Consider this as one of your meals for Super Bowl Sunday!
|Robust Beefy Chili||
- YIELD: 8-10 hearty, meal size portions; 4 meal size portions (amounts in parentheses)
- 4 (2)pounds stew beef, cut into cubes
- 3 (1-1/2) cups chopped onion
- 4 (2) cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 (2) cups tomatoes chopped, fresh or canned (two 15 oz. cans; 1 for half the recipe)
- 2 (1) can (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 2 (1) cup fresh green bell pepper, diced
- 4 (2) teaspoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 (2 to 4) teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 to 2-1/2 (4 to 5) teaspoons salt, or to taste
- up to 8 (4) tablespoons sugar, to taste, optional (this cuts the acidity of the tomatoes)
- 1/2 to 1 (1/4 to 1/2) teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper, cayenne pepper, or a few dashes hot sauce, optional
- 2 (1) tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 (1) cup water or beef stock (for additional flavor)
- 2 (1) cans (15 ounce size) dark red kidney beans or black beans, well-drained, rinsed
- 4 (2) tablespoons dried cilantro, optional, but adds good flavor
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the meat in the oil. Drain well.
- Add the onion, and cook until it is soft.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, peppers, spices, and cornmeal, stirring to combine and allowing to simmer for about 1 minute, just till everything is hot.
- Transfer the chili into at least a 6 quart size slow cooker/crock pot.
- Add enough water to cover all the ingredients.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and allow to cook on high heat. It will take between 2-1/2 to 3 hours to cook, for the meat to become tender.
- Stir the chili after 1 hour, and add a bit more of the beef stock or water if most of the liquid has evaporated or the chili seems dry.
- About 30-45 minutes before serving, stir in the beans, and continue to cook until heated through.
- Serve with the garnishes on the side. Try adding some lime zest to the sour cream, for something different!
Make as above, however, do not transfer the chili to the slow cooker, leaving everything in the large pot. Cook until the meat is tender, one to one and one-half hours. Add the beans about 30 minutes before serving time and allow to heat through before serving.
Consider serving this hearty meal in the now popular bread bowls!